Welcome to Ecology Author Services, supporting authors of ecological and agricultural science manuscripts. Based in the UK and run by Dr Alison Haughton, Ecology Author Services offers science copy-editing, proofreading and language polishing to academic researchers and post-graduate students to improve written communication of their science. Alison works with native and non-native English speakers and specialises in the ecological and agricultural soil, plant, insect and microbiological sciences.
As an experienced professional science and journal editor, Alison is a member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) and is bound by their Code of Practice to assure you of the highest standards and best practice in editorial excellence. Please visit the CIEP for more reasons why using a proofreader and copy-editor is important.
With a fresh pair of eyes and confidential objectivity, Alison can help you produce a scientific manuscript, research report, book chapter, dissertation or thesis that is written in clear, concise and consistent English, to improve and optimise the communication of your science to your intended audience. Offered services include:
- checking for errors and inconsistencies in spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- suggesting where unclear sentences may need to be rewritten and changing or querying any misused words;
- formatting your document according to the required house style or checking for compliance with the style;
- checking that section headings, equations, tables, figures, plates and appendices are consistent and numbered consecutively;
- cross-checking within-text references to tables, figures, plates and appendices;
- checking the format of footnotes or endnotes;
- cross-checking citations and references;
- checking the format and spelling of reference lists and bibliographies;
- peer-reviewing your manuscript to identify areas for improvement, prior to journal submission;
- reviewing and advising on data analysis and presentation;
- writing an Abstract and/or covering letter for journal submission; and,
- suggesting an appropriate journal for your manuscript.